Florida man contracts flesh-eating bacteria while fishing off Gulf Coast: report

There’s lots of ways Florida can kill you, not the least of which is Vibrio vulnificus, a potentially deadly bacteria found in warm saltwater. (Orlando Sentinel)

A Florida man nearly lost his arm Easter weekend when he contracted a deadly, flesh-eating bacteria while he was fishing off Palm Harbor, according to WFTS, an ABC affiliated news station serving Tampa.

Mike Walton, of Ozona, was fishing Saturday when he was pricked by his fishing hook. It wasn’t the first time Walton had been nicked by his own hook and he didn’t think anything of it.

Little did Walton know, it was at that moment he had contracted a very rare bacteria in the United States, Vibrio vulnificus — a potentially deadly bacteria found in warm salt water.

Doctors began treatment immediately by cutting into his arm from the elbow to the palm of his hand — relieving pressure and removing the bacteria.

Viral News

There have been seven cases of Vibrio vulnificus in Florida since 2015, including two fatal cases in Brevard and Marion counties, according to WFTS. The other cases were in Broward, Duval, Pasco, Santa Rosa and St. Lucie counties.

Source Article